If you needed (or wanted) further proof that the Atari’s Asteroids reboot Asteroids: Outpost isn’t a joke (no really, it’s not a joke) Early Access for the reimagined 1979 classic is available on Steam from today.
Features included in the Early Access launch include:
- Tool and Weapon Crafting (Upgrade your tools and craft more advanced weapons using scavenged materials)
- Base-Building and Degradation (Build your base – again through crafting)
- Asteroid Showers (Watch out for small showers of asteroids which are both a threat and a blessing containing components required to upgrade but also capable of destroying your base)
- Resource Gathering (Scavenge bases, loot crash sites or mine the asteroid’s surface to increase your resources).
- Terrain Exploration (Explore the terrain using suits or vehicles, but watch out for the hazards!)
- Attacking and Looting (Your base isn’t safe from other players looking to increase their wealth but neither are they safe from you)
Todd Shallbetter, Atari’s Chief Operating Officer said:
This is part of our new strategy. We are going to be teaming up with young and innovative studios to take a refreshing look at each game from our extensive portfolio. Releasing Asteroids: Outpost through the Early Access program will also help us get feedback from the community. Asteroids is the first of a long series of re-births, and we are considering doing the same for our other iconic games such as Warlords, Adventure, Tempest, Missile Command and many more.
In honour of the arcade release of Asteroids, Asteroids: Outpost will be discounted to $19.79 which for those of us across the pond translates to a less nostalgic £13.27